Saturday, August 24, 2013

Walk Fasting, Not Faster

Yesterday I raced a dump truck.
More accurately, I tried to beat a dump truck, but I don't think they cared one way or another who won.

Over the past few days, I've been trying out something I stumbled upon a little while ago.
For the High Holidays this year, I'm going to be taking an extensive walk midday to where the synagogue will be holding learner's classes. Three miles each way. This is made more daunting by the fact that I'll be fasting completely on Yom Kippur. 25 hours without food. Not even water.

Naturally, I decided to look up what information I could about long walks while fasting.
Naturally, I found information on weight loss that had nothing to do with my query.
Naturally, I decided to read it.

The concept in question is the idea of "fasting walks" - light exercise performed first thing in the morning. The theory is that the body uses up most of the available glycogen overnight, so one wakes up in the morning with comparatively little "fuel," so to speak. Incidentally, that's why it's called "break-fast" and why it's important to have a good one - otherwise, you're potentially pushing your metabolism to store energy rather than burn it. Exercising before any caloric consumption supposedly forces the body to kickstart the process that converts fat to sugars.

In theory, the idea is somewhat sound, though I question whether anyone will get the results they are seeking through that little exercise. My major weight loss occurred when exercising at home for an hour every morning, and this is a lower impact version of that method. I'll try to update this with some actual research into the means and methods that are supposedly behind this.

With the sole exception of Saturday morning, I've been taking my daily brisk walk sometime around 5 AM this past week. So far, I haven't noticed any significant results that can be directly attributable to the walking, but I do find the practice rather enjoyable. It is definitely something I could maintain for a while, and taking longer walks is certainly a possibility, though I might switch over to my old workout schedule once we start unpacking from our move.

As for the dump truck? About halfway into my walk I saw the truck driving down the street toward my house, and I raced home to get the can out to the curb.
It was a tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment